Sunday, May 18, 2008

HAPPY BELATED MOTHER'S DAY

I know it's late, but this mother's day was extra special for me and I just wanted to share a few thoughts about the day and the many women who have greatly influenced my life. This blog has officially become my journal, so I can't miss thoughts and feelings I don't want to forget. In a recent talk given by President Monson, entitled "Behold Thy Mother," he spoke about the sacred role of the mother. He shared this sweet and sincere poem written by, Jack M. Lyon and others.

The holiest words my tongue can frame,
The noblest thoughts my soul can claim,
Unworthy are to praise the name
More precious than all other.
An infant, when her love first came,
A man, I find it still the same,
Reverently I breathe her name,
The blessed name of mother.

I am most grateful for my mother and her deep love for me. She has always centered her mothering skills around the gospel. I admire her love for her family and even more for her Savior. She has been so supportive of me and my life. I truly appreciate her unconditional love for me.

My mother-in-law, Shelby, is also another very important person in my life. We have always had such a special relationship. I've never considered her to be my mother-in-law, but truly my second mother. She is the most service oriented person and literally will do anything and I am anything to support her children and grandchildren.

Since this was my first Mother's Day I was overwhelmed by the gratitude Jake expressed to me. I couldn't have felt more special. He writes the most sincere cards that mean more to me than anything. Don't get me wrong though, his blueberry pancakes and eggs definitely made me feel very appreciated. He is such an amazing husband!

The greatest gift of the day was simply in my arms. I couldn't be more grateful for my sweet sweet daughter, Ava. I never knew I was capable of such love. She brings so much joy into my life. I feel richly blessed to have such a sacred calling of being a mother.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a nice tribute to both Moms.

Brooke Jackson said...

It amazing how much love we can feel for our kids. It is even more amazing to think that the Lord loves us more than we love our kids!

Ty and Janene said...

Shannon Your daughter is darling. Yah I think you need more cause you make cute ones and I need someone to catch up with me heehee! Well if your ever in Cedar let me know and we can get together!