Sunday, July 25, 2010

THEY SANG AS THE WALKED AND WALKED...

I just gave a lesson in Young Women's today about family history and traditions. I'm not going to lie I wasn't excited about the topic, but I went ahead and gave it the best I could. I'm always grateful to teach because it's a great opportunity for me to learn. I gained such a greater understanding and appreciation for my ancestors and the pioneers who sacrificed so much for the gospel. This weekend was filled with powerful moments where my heart was filled with love and gratitude for these incredible people who endured so much. These feelings have left me motivated to always remember my great heritage so that I can follow in their footsteps. I have also felt the importance of leaving better family history records for my future posterity. This blog is a great source to keep such records.


I've learned that spiritual settings are not the only place we can receive inspiration. Just having fun with my family can be the most inspiring. We had a fun filled weekend with all the fun family traditions of the 24th of July...Going to the parade, dinner with Papa, RUNNING MY FIRST HALF MARATHON, playing at the carnival, swimming, and a fun family birthday party for Jake's brother, Jed. How lucky are we to live in such a world where we get to do all of these things on a regular basis?!!!! I feel like I take sooooo much for granted. I hope to be better at recognizing and counting all these great blessings.
(Side Note: Just got done feeding Mac after I finished the race...I look like an old lady with my shorts up to my belly button...LOL !)
Running in the Bountiful "Handcart Days" half marathon was a total adrenaline rush and not to mention very spontaneous, which I think was half the fun. I registered for the race the day before without training. I know it sounds crazy, but I do workout a lot, so I figured my body was up for it...I guess I figured right because somehow I managed to finish at 1:55min. and third place in my age group. I didn't even consider trying to race or place, but this has brought my competitive self to the surface. It was such a thrill that I feel totally addicted. Now I want to really train and race for real!!!
I've always had people tell me that racing was a spiritual experience for them, but I never understood what they meant until now. The race itself is such a great analogy of our journey here on earth. Nothing else really matters, but the getting to the finish line. We live in such a world where we have so many distractions that it's easy to get side tracked...taking us further away from our ultimate goal. As I was running all I could think about was getting back to my darling family. I was so excited and motivated just thinking about their cute faces. The course of the race was beautiful! I loved to look up at the Bountiful temple and reflect on the direction of my own life. I hope that I will always aspire higher and keep my eye on the real prize.... Eternal Life with my family!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did you convince Jake to let you do Mac's hair like that? I love it. Again, amazing job on the race. Maybe one day we can do a race together?

Unknown said...

congrats on your race! that is awesome! mac is growing up! he is such a stud and of course ava is a little doll as always!

Sarah and Garrett said...

Wow, it looks like you guys had so much fun! What a lot to pack into one holiday!

Shelby Osmond said...

What an inspiring post... wow that really was neat. We do take so much for granted because we have so much. But anyway you look great! I can't believe you ran that without any training! You go girl!