Thursday, February 12, 2009

EARLY VALENTINE TRADITION


Jake proposed to me February 1st, 2006, therefore we have celebrated Valentines on that day ever since. However, since the first was on a Sunday we celebrated on Monday...so yes, I'm way behind, once again, on my blog. Anways, I told Jake that it was his turn to plan the evening and that I wanted it to be a complete surprise and very romantic...And if any of you know my Jakie he is what we call romantically challenged, but I was crossing my fingers this year.
As a side note, on our very first Valentines's together, which was our senior year, he asked what I wanted and the only thing I said was that I really wanted red roses. To my surprise I received a hideous bouquet of tiny, tiny, and did I say TINY red carnations...yes, that's right carnations! The ugliest of all flowers and in Jake's defense the cheapest of them all...$3.99 to be exact. I just pretended to be happy and pleased, but little did he know I was so upset. Later Jake learned that just because a flower is red doesn't mean that they are considered a rose...LOL! It was definitely a learning experience, but it did have a happy ending...my beautiful carnations last at least 2months...the dang things lived FOREVER!
I wanted to share that story, so we could all see Jake's progression. He planned a really fun night with dinner at the Mayan, rock climbing(which was a total blast!), ice cream, and a total action packed movie, "TAken." In Jake's eyes this was the most romantic evening EVER! As you can see Jake takes romance to a totally different level! A level in which I couldn't love more! We had such a fun evening and that's what I love about Jake most...We ALWAYS have fun together.
P.S. Rock climbing was a total blast even though I had no idea we were going and I was definitely not dressed for.
P.P.S. The movie "Taken" was awesome! Both Jake and I loved it! It's way intense and definitely not romantic, but that's my Jakie...Who I love so much!!!

9 comments:

Ange said...

What a fun Valentine's date. Jo told me he was only going to get me a card, so that is a lot better than what I am going to get. We sure have to help these guys with these kind of things.

Julie said...

hahahaha that is hilarious about the carnations! I love it! That'll be a fun story to tell the kids someday. Good job on a fun night Jake! This year Spencer has a basketball game so the most romance I'm getting is sitting around a bunch of smoking people in a hot arena! wooooo!

Barlow Fam said...

How fun for you guys!!! I hope he gets better as it goes on, but at least he is planning something and not anything!! I saw that movie too, and it is way good!! Keep us updated, I sure want to get together with you so let me know when you are open!

Menlove Family said...

Sounds like it was so fun!! Good idea to go another day too because then its not so crowded everywhere! I love that carnation story, it makes me laugh so hard to hear Dad tell it! XOXO

Amanda said...

oh man that is so so funny! i laughed way hard when i read your story. I had to share it with Paul and we were both dyin. Jake is the best!

Anonymous said...

I can't get enough of the carnation story. We love jake! What a fun date you two went on.

Brad and Britt said...

that sounds like a way fun date! I am super proud of Jake! haha!

Peterson Fam said...

Hey Shan I love keeping up with your cute fam so definitely add me to your list. lonipeterson@gmail.com

Jes said...

Hey I just found your blog. How is life for you? Us it is great. We are expecting our first baby in September and just bought the Crigger's house in the old ward. Check out my blog, adamjessiehughes.blogspot.com.