Monday, August 18, 2008

FAMILY HISTORY

I've been procrastinating this post for quite some time...probably because I know how long winded this might be. Three weeks ago, when Jake and I moved, we spoke in our ward about family history. When I realized that I would be speaking on this I was totally lost with no direction. I felt that this topic is just for our parents to worry about. Fortunately, through this process I was able to learn a lot and realized how many incredible blessings are only given through family history. For this reason I feel even more inclined to keep record of everything going on in my families life. So when you start to see tons of small and random stories and things on my blog...you'll know why. Please feel free to bypass them...they're really just for my own record.

With that being said I just had to mention the Olympics. Hasn't it been so much fun to watch and cheer our country on. I love it! It's such a neat time for the entire world! Jake idealizes Micheal Phelps. I wouldn't be surprised if he came home with a swimming cap, goggles, and speedo on. The whole family has been teasing him that he has posters of Phelps on his ceiling. It's been a fun joke, but we all know Phelps truly has been amazing!!!

Now, the fact that the Olympics are in Beijing just make it that much better! While Jake was on his mission I went on a service abroad in China teaching English. It was by far, next to having a child, the craziest/greatest thing I've ever done. I loved it so much. Just seeing images of Beijing makes me want to go back so bad!!! The shopping at the Beijing Silk Market was insane!!! I've never bought so much stuff in my life. I literally felt like a millionaire because everything was so dang cheap. I only visited Beijing for two weeks, but I lived at a boarding school in Kunming, which is in the Yunnan Province. Kunming is in Southeast China and has a small population of 5 million people!!!! That's only one city!!! Just imagine the amount of people in Beijing right now. The pick-pocketing is probably at an all time high...I totally almost got completely robbed by a little boy while I was getting on a bus there! I even had my passport with me...It was pretty scary! I loved visiting so many different cities in China, but most of all I loved teaching and the kids. There are so stinkin', not to mention freakin' hillarious. I just thought it would be fun to reflect and take a look back on China.
Kyle...My very favorite!!! He always said, "Wo i Ne Lao sur," which is I love you teacher.
The crazy boys. The big one, Dillin, was soooo naughty!
Chinese Heaven!!! The food in China was awful! McDonalds was my saving grace.
My little classroom
Teenage class! So many kids in one room...!!!
My home class of students...So adorable! I totally miss them and the school!

8 comments:

Kimbie said...

Thats really cool! I didn't know you went to China. What a great experience to carry with you!

Anonymous said...

That is fun to see some of your pictures from China. I haven't seen many of them. Tell Jake to join the Phelps club and get a speedo. Brandon and I joined. Ok, we really didn't get speedos, we just got our googles. I think I could become addicted.

Brad and Ashley Merrill said...

That's so fun to see those pictures! I bet that was so awesome for you! Michael Phelps is becoming quite the legend. That's what we watched with Beth and Matt when we hung out. We were cheering and screaming for him... You would have thought it was some big finals plays off game or something! It really is such a fun time, I love the Olympics

Brad and Britt said...

I totally forgot that you went to China. how fun! It means a lot more to you to watch the olympics because you have been there!

Tracy and Whitney said...

Oh my goodness, how are you guys? It has been such a long time! Your little girl is adorable!

The Conders said...

Shannon!! Its Brynn! I came across your blog and just had to say hi! It has been so long- how have you been? You're little girl is adorable. I'm thinking that our little girls must be pretty close in age- when is her birthday? My little girl's is Sept. 20. Anyway I just wanted to say hi and I hope you are doing well. I'd love to catch up with you!

corrine said...

hi shannon, i found your blog on steph stringham's and its so fun to see what you're up to! i think i found it once before but i dont know if i left a comment. anyway your baby is adorable, and that is so cool that you went to china!

Ange said...

I finally got a blog. Now I don't feel as stupid blog staulking. It looks like you are doing so good. Your baby is so dang cute. Just the other day I was thinking about our freshman year of college. It sure was fun. I can't believe it was four years ago. Where does the time go. That is exciting Jake is doing with his bachelors and going for his masters. I should do my masters but I just can't even stand the thoughts of going back. Maybe someday. I love the blogging thing to stay in touch.